I love photography.
There are two things I want to be when I grow up (!!) – A writer and a photographer.
More specifically, a wildlife/landscape/travel photographer.
As you can see, I have trouble doing only one thing at a time!
This post contains affiliate links which means I will receive a commission (at no extra cost to you) when you click on a link and make a purchase.
I have studied both writing and photography, and I continue to do so. But, I can only manage short courses. I don’t know why, but the thought of studying anything for a prolonged period makes me anxious.
It’s probably my absolute hatred of my never-ending high school years (and most of my primary/grade school ones too).
(And people wonder why I’m homeschooling my teens and pre-teen!)
If you, or your child, is like me and would love to study photography but balks at the idea of long never-ending courses, Craftsy has come to the rescue.
Craftsy Photography Classes
Craftsy has 45 photography classes, ranging in length from under an hour to over 4 hours – with most being around the 2-hour length.
Below is a list of the classes available right now. Everything from the basics right up to starting your own business. Plus courses for photographing products for your own blog.
- Basics of Digital Photography (2hr 9min)
- Night Photography (2hr 17min)
- Next Steps in Digital Photography: Capture Your Vision (2hr 31min)
- Travel Photography: The Essential Guide (3hr 5min)
- Close Up Nature Photography: Beyond the Basics (1hr 49min)
- Mobile Photography: Perfect Photos In Your Pocket (2hr 49min)
- Basics of Flash Photography (2hr 27min)
- Narrative Photography: Storytelling with Photo Essays (1hr 35min)
- Off-Camera Flash Photography (2hr 27min)
- Settings for Success: Landscape Photography (2hr 29min)
- Landscape Photography: Shooting From Dawn to Dusk (1hr 16min)
- Creative Photography: Capture Life Differently (1hr 53min)
- Product Photography At Home (2hr 6min)
- Editing Techniques for Night Photography (1hr 56min)
- Basics of Landscape Photography (2hr 21min)
- Macro Photography: Insects (1hr 39min)
- Building Your Business: Beautiful Cake Photography (1hr 41min)
- Shoot to Process For Travel Photography (1hr 58min)
- Breaking into the Business of Photography (2h 8min)
- Shoot It! A product Photography Primer (2hr 35 min)
- A sports Photography Primer (1hr 41min)
- Dog Photography: Sit, Stay, Click (3hr14min)
- Commercial Photography: Taking Product Photos That Sell (2hr 2min)
- Wedding Photography: Posing the Family (1hr 56min)
- Baby Photography At Home: Capture the First Year (2hr 33min)
- Wedding Photography: The Romantic Portrait Session 2hr 2min)
- Family Photography: Candid Moments & Storytelling (2hr 44min)
- Outdoor Photography Essentials (1hr 23min)
- Food Photography: From Plate to Photo (4hr)
- Boudoir Photography: Flattering the Female Form (2hr 2min)
- Pet Photography (2hr 26min)
- Start-Up Project: Creative Lifestyle Photography (2hr 11min)
- Start-Up Library: Photography (4hr 9min)
- Photographing Flowers (2hr 45min)
- Tricks of the Trade: Photographing Liquids (2hr 1min)
- Quiltcon Lecture Series: Homemade Lifestyle Photography (46min)
- 20 Lightroom Lifesavers (2hr 43min)
- Black & White Portraits (1hr 57min)
- Composing Classic Landscapes (2hr 4min)
- Stunning Panoramas: Simplify Your Workflow (2hr 13 min)
- Getting Started with Portrait Retouching in Photoshop (2hr 55min)
- Photographing Wildlife (2hr 19min)
- Travel Scrapbooking with Amy Tan (2hr 32min)
- Baby Scrapbooking Layouts (1hr 2min)
- Android-ography: Photos, Videos & More (1hr 35min)
Why I Love Craftsy
Apart from the fact that Craftsy has classes on so many different topics, I love Craftsy because you can learn from the comfort of your own home at your own pace.
1. The Perfect Teacher
One of my teens is extremely shy and anxious so Craftsy lets her learn without the added stress of going somewhere new, meeting new people and being face to face with a stranger teaching her. One of the issues she had at mainstream high school was not feeling comfortable with her teachers and therefore being ‘left behind’.
You can pause, rewind and stop Craftsy when you need to. Making it the perfect ‘teacher’.
2. The Price
As with everything these days, the price is always a consideration.
For homeschoolers and those starting their own business, stretching the budget is difficult.
You can pay for classes on Craftsy as you use them or you can get Craftsy Unlimited.
With Craftsy Unlimited you pay once a year and can watch and rewatch everything.
You can also start with the 7 day FREE trial on Craftsy Unlimited. So you can find out if Craftsy is right for you before you pay anything.
I have a Craftsy Unlimited account for our homeschool (because apart from photography, I am not crafty! Check out my post Are You Crafty? for more information about how un-crafty I am!) But, I was not paid for this post. I am just a really big fan and want to help other homeschoolers (and work-from-home parents) make the most of their time, budget and lifestyle.
If you do decide to take the 7-day free trial, in the comments section below, please let me know how you go and what you and/or your children think of Craftsy.
Whatever you decide, remember,
Enjoy the Journey,
Author: Lara Galea
Lara is a freelance writer, blogger, photographer and homeschooler. When not helping others with their journey, she is either reading, binge-watching Netflix or creating havoc in the kitchen.